By Aylin Erman, EcoSalon
You don’t have to spend a load of cash, or leave your house for that matter, to get gorgeous highlights in your hair. In fact, salon highlights damage your hair and are quite the investment, given that you have to clean up your roots every few months.
The following five ways to highlight your hair naturally are all cheap, safe, and only require a trip to the kitchen.
1. Get Natural Highlights With Honey
This may cause a sticky situation, but applying honey to your hair will effectively highlight it. Apply it to the hair and be sure to spend an hour under the sun, preferably letting it stand for about two hours; then rinse.
2. Lighten Up With Lemon
Lemon is one of the most popular natural hair lighteners. Here’s how to use it:
- Mix together 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice and 3/4 cup water in a spray bottle.
- Spray the mixture onto hair and use your fingers to comb it into the strands. Your hair should be wet but not dripping with the mixture.
- Leave it in for two hours — 30 minutes of which should be under the sun — before rinsing.
This mixture may dry out thin or fine hair, so add a few squeezes of your favorite conditioner to the spray bottle, shake until evenly distributed, and then spritz away.
3. Soothe Your Scalp and Highlight Naturally with Chamomile Tea
Brew a cup of chamomile tea and allow it to cool. Apply to freshly shampooed hair and spend about one hour under the sun.
4. Use Olive Oil For Lighter, Luxurious Hair
Comb olive oil into your hair until all strands are covered. Spend about one hour under the sun. The olive oil will both lighten and moisturize your hair.
5. Bring on the Beer
Boozing under the sun now has a whole new meaning. Pour a few light beers into a bucket, then lean over and dump hair into the beer. Head outside under the sun for about one hour. Rinse and wash.
This article is adapted from Aylin Erman’s article published in EcoSalon on May 13, 2013.