The DUTCH (Dried Urine Test for Comprehensive Hormones) Complete hormonal imbalance test is the most accurate test with a complete assessment of your hormonal health. It offers an extensive profile of sex and adrenal hormones and melatonin along with their metabolites to identify symptoms of hormonal imbalances. Samples are easily collected in the comfort of your own home and then sent to the company’s (Precision Analytical Inc.) lab for processing and analysis.
Hormones are regulated by the endocrine system, a collection of glands [pituitary, thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal glands, pancreas, ovaries (in females), and testicles (in males)]. These glands create and secrete hormones that regulate metabolism, growth and development, tissue function, sexual function, reproduction, sleep, and mood.
Each gland specializes in creating specific hormones for certain body processes. The cells in the gland select and remove nutrients, proteins, and other materials from the blood, utilizes them as needed, and then synthesize the final chemical product: a hormone such as cortisol, testosterone, estrogen, and melatonin. Once secreted, the hormone travels to where it is needed in the body, targeting certain organs and tissues, to act as a signal for additional body processes to occur, ultimately promoting optimal health and function.
Each gland and hormone produced is essential to bodily function, therefore, if there is a problem with one or more glands interrupting the synthesis or secretion of the hormones, hormonal imbalance can occur, causing a range of health issues. Endocrine disorders include:
- Adrenal insufficiency
- Cushing’s Disease
- Gigantism and growth issues
- Multiple endocrine neoplasias I and II
- Precocious puberty
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
Hormonal imbalances can be caused by a range of things, some natural, some out of your control, and others based on lifestyle choices. Some common causes of hormone imbalances include:
- Autoimmune diseases
- Thyroid nodules
- Medications (e.g. birth control)
- Age-related changes such as menopause and andropause
- Genetic disorders
- Nutritional deficiencies or insufficiencies
- Excessive stress
- Poor diet
The hormonal changes contributing to symptoms and endocrine disorders can be detected by a hormone imbalance test. Once you know what hormones are out of balance, causing your symptoms, then you open the door to finding the best treatment to ease or eliminate hormonal imbalance symptoms before they completely manifest into a disorder and potentially cause irreversible damage. The DUTCH Complete test is the most comprehensive hormone test on the market.
Why You Should Use DUTCH Complete™ Hormonal Imbalance Test
Because of the increased prevalence of hormonal imbalances, a wide range of hormone tests are flooding the market. You can also ask your physician to order blood tests that look at your hormone levels. But DUTCH Complete is unlike any other. Here’s what sets DUTCH Complete apart from the rest:
Analytical and Clinical Validation
Precision Analytical’s testing methods go through a rigorous validation process to verify accuracy, recovery, and linearity. The DUTCH test lab pride’s itself in relentlessly pursuing and adopting the most accurate and precise techniques available for testing.
The Easiest Patient Collection
Patients collect four or five dried urine samples over a 24-hour period. Dried samples are stable for several weeks, making them convenient to ship worldwide.
Effective HRT Monitoring
DUTCH testing was designed to be optimally effective for most forms of hormone replacement therapy (HRT). Unique methods are used for improved monitoring of oral progesterone and vaginal hormones.
DUTCH Complete hormonal imbalance test results include:
- Analysis of 35 different hormones: estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA-S, and cortisol along with their metabolites
- Daily free cortisol patterns to provide insight into adrenal insufficiency or symptoms of chronic stress
- Graphical representation of results and embedded video tutorials to assist in the hormone assessment to share with your medical provider
- DUTCH OATs: Oxidative stress marker – 8-Hydroxy-2-deoxyguanosine (8-OHdG), melatonin (6-OHMS), and six organic acid tests (OATs) including markers for vitamin B12 (methylmalonate), vitamin B6 (xanthurenate), kynurenate, glutathione (pyroglutamate), dopamine (homovanillate), norepinephrine/epinephrine (vanilmandelate).
How Does DUTCH Complete Compare To Other Hormone Tests?
DUTCH vs. Saliva Testing
While the free cortisol pattern in saliva has clinical value, there is a significant missing piece to surveying a patient’s HPA axis (hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis) function with saliva testing – measuring cortisol metabolites. To properly characterize a patient’s cortisol status, free and metabolized cortisol should be measured to avoid misleading results when cortisol clearance is abnormally high or low. Likewise, with sex hormones, measuring estrogen and androgen metabolites provides a fuller picture for more precise clinical diagnosis of hormonal imbalances and HRT monitoring.
DUTCH vs. Serum Testing
While the most universally accepted testing method (due to the availability of FDA-cleared analyzers that are reliable and inexpensive), serum testing lacks in some areas. Adrenal hormones cannot be effectively tested in serum because free cortisol cannot be tested throughout the day. There is also a lack of extensive metabolite testing (especially for cortisol and estrogens).
DUTCH vs. 24-Hour Urine Testing
There are two primary drawbacks to 24-hour urine testing of hormones. First, the collection is cumbersome and difficult with as many as 40 percent of those who collect making some type of error that could affect results. Secondly, dysfunction in the diurnal pattern of cortisol cannot be ascertained from a 24-hour collection. Some providers add saliva for daily free cortisol. DUTCH eliminates the need for two tests.
Which DUTCH Hormonal Imbalance Test Is Right For You?
The DUTCH hormone test comes in two variations: DUTCH Complete and DUTCH Plus. DUTCH Complete is the baseline for hormone testing while DUTCH Plus™ adds salivary measurements of the Cortisol Awakening Response (CAR) to the DUTCH Complete to bring another important piece of the HPA axis (hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis) into focus. Thus, if your symptoms point to HPA axis dysfunction, then you may want to choose the DUTCH Plus test for the extra information provided by the CAR. Those with hormonal imbalances that do not believe it is necessary to look into the CAR can still find a wealth of information with the DUTCH Complete test.
The DUTCH Complete hormone test kit includes:
- Easy directions and filter paper collection strips
- Requisition form for patient information, pertinent supplements, medications, hormone replacement, and a health questionnaire
- Sealable return envelope
What Do I Do After I Send My Results In?
As your DUTCH Complete provider, we’ll have access to your results once they become available and can discuss them in detail with you. Please book a consultation with HoneyColony co-founder and Functional Medicine Coach, Maryam Henein to set up an appointment and discuss your results and what they mean for your health.
Why We Love It:
- Easy to use in the comfort of your own home
- Rigorous validation process to verify accuracy, recovery, and linearity through pursuing the most accurate and precise techniques available for testing
- Dried samples are stable for several weeks for convenient worldwide shipping
- Offers an analysis of 35 different hormones
- Graph results provided to share with your medical provider
- Free and metabolized cortisol are measured to avoid misleading cortisol status results
- Measures estrogen and androgen metabolites to give a fuller picture of hormonal imbalances and HRT monitoring
Please Note: Restrictions apply for ordering lab tests in the states of NEW YORK OR RHODE ISLAND. If you live in either of these states, please contact us before purchasing.
Additionally, the DUTCH hormonal imbalance test is dropshipped from the vendor, since they cannot be sold directly to patients. In order to process and ship your order, the vendor notes: We will just need the patient’s first and last name, shipping address, phone number, and e-mail address (the last two are for the courier in case there is an issue and they need to contact the patient about their address).
- Return policy for a refund is 90 days from the date of purchase.
- The kit must be returned to Precision Analytical Inc. before any refunds can be issued.
- Shipping fees are non-refundable.
- There is a $25 restocking fee.
- Credit card refunds can take up to 30 days to be processed.