By Juliana Chaney, Buzzworthy Blogs
Cooking for my 13-year-old is not easy. I enjoy meat or dairy on occasion, but with Grace I am inspired to make her feel like she can still have those foods that we all love—in a different way.
Teens go through enough already without having to feel left out of having great food. Real food. That is what my aim is right now. I am still experimenting quite a bit, but here is a recipe for my vegan mac-n-‘cheese’.
- 1 Can of Cannellini Beans
- 1 Sweet Potato
- ½ Cup Soy Milk
- 1 Clove Garlic, Minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
(Now here is where you can get creative.)
- I added a quarter teaspoon ground mustard and an equal amount of red pepper flakes
- ½ lb. of any whole grain organic pasta of your choosing.
1. Wash sweet potato, poke holes with a fork and bake in microwave.
2. Start water to bring to a boil.
3. While water is heating mince garlic and add beans, soy milk, sweet potato, salt and garlic to a food processor. Pulse until creamy consistency.
4. Add noodles to water and boil as directed on package. Drain and rinse.
5. Add sauce and enjoy!
(Reheat if necessary, but I find that the noodles warm the sauce perfectly for our family’s taste.)
I will be adding my recipe for Vegan enchiladas soon, but let me know what you all think.
Peace, and eat well!
Juliana Chaney I am a 33-year-old wife and mom of a vegan. I am also a singer/songwriter and amateur cook. I enjoy kickboxing and karaoke and have spent years incorporating healthier eating in my family. I live in rural Missouri and have been writing for roughly 20 years.
Submit your story or essay to Buzzworthy Blogs.